Monday, March 26, 2012

Week 20 - The Elephan-Top

DSC_0393
Here I am at 20 weeks. The bump is growing, the boy is starting to be more and more active. And the sewing fun has started... When I first saw that lovely elephant print on jersey I knew I had to buy it. I love everything about it: the combination of colors, the floral elements in the design and of course the beautiful elephants. I couldn't decide right away for what to use it, I wanted to wear it right now, but I didn't want to waste the beautiful print on a maternity shirt that I might only be able to wear for a short time. So one day I was looking for something in my shirt drawer and I found an old worn out beach jersey tunic, that I loved and I remembered wearing at the end of my first pregnancy when spring started and I had nothing else to wear after a winter pregnancy with only a couple of ultra-warm maternity sweaters. So that seemed like the perfect project for my lovely elephant knit!

DSC_0395

The tunic is really a simple construction, perfect to show of a nice print and I love the bold solid strips. I added the faux layered look (the solid blue strip on the bust piece between the triangle...). The original tunic basically required you to wear a top underneath for modesty, but with the integrated layer that is now not necessary (yeah to one layer less to wear during a hot summer ahead!) and at the same time this converts the tunic to a nursing shirt!  Because the triangle is cut so deep the tunic enables easy access for nursing. The solid blue layer is a simple rectangle of fabric which is only attached to the sides of the tunic and the bottom middle - so it can be pulled aside easily for nursing.

DSC_0392
I also added a pleat to the front  to create more space for the growing bump. I really love this tunic, it's so comfy to wear and looks nice, too. Actually I am looking for more nice jersey print to make one or two more... Any suggestions for a cute print?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...